Friday, September 23, 2011

Train your weaknesses first

Ok, so I can be a bit edgy at times





Let's face it, no one likes to think about their weaknesses. Think about the last time you were at a job interview and someone asked, " So what are your weaknesses?" Response, "Ummmmmmm".


Too often in training we focus on the things that we are good at. Personally I avoided workouts that included pullups like the plague. What good does that do us? Wouldn't we be better in the long run if we turned that weakness into a strength? Wouldn't we be mentally and physically stronger if we addressed our weaknesses? Let's be clear here, I'm not talking about "problem areas". Fat loss strategies will be another blog post (most likely a rant so be warned). I'm talking about something that limits you.

For RKC 2 I need to perform pistol squats. Does this mean I avoid becoming an RKC 2? No it means that 4 days a week I work on them. Right after my mobility warm up (which is another blog post) I do 2 sets of 5 tactical pullups and 2 sets of 3 pistol progressions. I'm doing enough so I become better at the movement, but not over doing it so I'm tired and produce junk reps (guess what I sense another blog post). Generally it takes about 5-10 minutes and then I proceed to my training. If you're a boxer and your jab is a weakness, do you avoid throwing it? Good luck with that strategy. If you're a basketball player and you can't hit free throws (damn there's a ton of those guys), do you avoid contact so you stay off the foul line? No. If you're a runner and hills absolutely crush you, do you avoid races that have hills? If you're a person that takes my Sports Conditioning class and you hate the stairs, do you stop coming to class? If you take my kettlebell class and snatches are you're downfall do you avoid them when I put them in a workout? C'mon Son! Get outta here with that bull.

Set a timer for 10 minutes 2-3 times a week and work on the things you're not good at. Do them at the beginning of your workout when you're fresh. Focus on the technique and don't wear yourself out. If you make a mistake or you can't do something, shake it off count to 10 and try it again. If you need to video yourself and study it. When the timer goes off, finish your workout. Don't go past the 10 minute mark. MORE DOESN'T MEAN BETTER, BETTER MEANS BETTER!

Pharaoh out

2 comments:

  1. I think this means I need to work on my flexibility. Damn. But if I want to improve my squat and deadlift, I need more flexibility through my hips. I hope this doesn't mean I need to take up Yoga. I'm not a Yogi...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @sportybee I realize today I need to add balance and ankle mobility/flexibility. My scores from the @Combine360 GTS 4.0 were crappy.

    And don't take up yoga but incorporate some of the patterns that will benefit you.

    ReplyDelete